Friday, December 12, 2014

Málaga As Seen By Pinterest

{Conversation Partner Reflection 4}

I wanted to see what Aitana’s hometown looked like in pictures so I searched it on Pinterest with her.  I knew it was going to be gorgeous because it’s Spain and she lives near a beach, but wow.


It kind of puts Fort Worth to shame, as much as I love my hometown.  I pointed to the coliseum in the center and asked her about it.  Apparently it’s for bullfighting.  Because Spain.  I asked her if she has ever seen a bull fight, and she told me that she hasn’t.  In fact, she is against the whole “sport.”  I had never thought about the violence of bullfighting, mostly because I never really thought about it outside a fictional realm of movies and books. 

As a national tradition that draws natives and visitors from all over the world, bullfighting is also one of Spain’s biggest controversies.  It consists of a sequence of three parts where the bullfighter or matador progressively injures the bull then ultimately kills it.  It is basically a celebrated form of animal cruelty.  However, not everyone is against the lucrative industry of bullfighting.

Ernest Hemingway wrote about the bullfighting industry and called it an art, a tragedy, and a business.  “To what extent it is an art depends on the bulls and the men who are hired to kill them, but it is always a tragedy and it is always a business.”  In the article he describes Spanish bullfighting in great detail of each aspect and defends the bullfighting business.  Hemingway wrote in The Sun Also Rises, “Nobody ever lives their life all the way up except bull-fighters.”  He also wrote a non-fiction book called Death in the Afternoon, which was published in 1932.  It emphasizes the magnificence of bullfighting and elaborates on the nature of fear and courage in the coliseum.  Apparently, Ernest Hemingway was passionate about bullfighting, among other things.


Here is a picture from Pinterest of a street in Málaga, Spain where lots of shopping and nightlife takes place.   Málaga is also the birthplace of Pablo Picasso, and there is a Picasso Museum.  So I’ll just add that to the list of reasons I want to go to Europe.  Picasso and Hemingway knew each other through Gertrude Stein.  Basically it’s all connected. 

Aitana tells me she misses her home and is looking forward to returning to Málaga for Christmas break.  Her mother just added a new dog to her family, and she is excited to meet him.  The weather there is a lot tamer than Texas with our excruciatingly hot summers and icepocalypses.  In winter it about 17 degrees Celsius, which is approximately 62 degrees Fahrenheit. 


When Aitana first came to the United States to study, she didn’t know any English.  Now after almost three semesters in the Intensive English Program, her English is nearly flawless.  One day I hope to visit a country where I don’t know the language and be immersed in the culture and eventually become a fluent speaker in a second language.  After scrolling through pictures of Málaga I’m convinced that Spain would be a beautiful place to begin my ventures.

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing these pictures of Spain! It always makes my head spin when I try to wrap my mind around all the amazing places to see in the world, and the fact that there are people who actually live there and get to see it on the regular. I went to Spain for the first time with TCU for my Frog Camp, and it was a great experience. Besides meeting so many new people and finding connections at TCU, I also got to get a glimpse at a different culture, which is always something I seek out and enjoy. The second picture of the shopping district reminds me a lot of a similar street in Seville, where we visited. There was so many cool sights to see, and I'm sure we only covered a fraction in our week there, so I would also love to go back to Spain sometime in the future. Going abroad, whether for vacation or for studying, allows for new experiences that can't be had when you are comfortably on your home turf, and expanding your horizons is something that I think is important for people so that they can start to truly appreciate the vast scope of human experience that the world holds. I hope you and I both make it to Spain some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Pinterest. The land of many enchantments.

    What a beautiful way to tie the conversations you have had with Aitana into what we have learned about in class. I honestly had no idea that bullfighting was at the center of such a controversy, because I, too, had never devoted much thought to it outside of the fictional realm. Is it widely known that they kill the bulls in the end? I was completely unaware. But what does not come as any sort of shock to me is Hemingway's connection to the practice. It seems right up his alley, to be honest. Man and beast duking it out in the ultimate battle of power and masculinity? Yep, everything seems to be in order here. I can't help but think of what sort of hobbies Hemingway may have had if that whole "dressing him like a girl for the first three years of his life" debacle had never happened. Maybe he would have taken up gardening.

    ReplyDelete